This guide explains how to find and participate in a scheduled #autchat on the Twitter website.
- If you don’t already have one, you’ll need to create a Twitter account.
- Log in to your Twitter account.
- To find #autchat on Twitter, use one of these two methods:
- Click this direct link to the #AutChat Twitter page, OR
- Enter “#AutChat into the search field. Then press the Enter key or click #AutChat in the dropdown list that appears.
- On the #AutChat page, choose the menu bar link “Latest” (it says “Live” in the screenshot, but Twitter has since changed their label—it’s the same thing, though). It is the second option from the left. This ensures that you will see all tweets tagged with #AutChat. (The default option is “Top” and only shows the top tweets with the #AutChat hashtag.)
Participating in a scheduled #AutChat
- Make sure you have followed the instructions in the previous section, “Finding #AutChat”.
- Questions will be tweeted by @AutChatMod. They will begin with Q (for Question) followed by the number of the question. (Example: Q5 would be the fifth question in a scheduled #AutChat.)
- There are two methods for responding to #AutChat questions.
- Responding by reply:
- Use the reply option under the Tweet. It looks like an arrow pointing left.
- A reply box will open under the original Tweet. You will want to delete the “@username” text that Twitter automatically puts in the start of your Tweet.
- Responding with a new Tweet:
- To start a new Tweet, click the icon in the top right corner of the webpage. It looks like a stylized quill or feather.
- A pop-up “Compose new Tweet” box will open. The rest of the webpage will get darker.
- Responding by reply:
- Regardless of which method you choose, your answers to #AutChat questions should always include two elements.
- The letter A (for Answer) followed by the number of the question you are answering. (Example: If the question you are answering began with “Q5”, your answer should begin with “A5”.)
- The #AutChat hashtag. This will allow everyone else following #AutChat to see your answer.
- It’s also fine to respond to other #AutChat participants’ answers during a scheduled chat. Just remember to tag your Tweets with #AutChat!
Note: You may need to refresh periodically to read new tweets. If you are using Chrome and having to manually reload to see new tweets, you might have “background tab throttling” enabled, or it might just be Twitter.